Cellulite is something I get asked about all the time from my #LSFbabes. Can I get rid of it? Is it bad? What’s the best type of exercise to reduce it?
Girls, I’m here to tell you that cellulite is completely normal. In fact, up to 98% of women have it! Cellulite is nothing to be ashamed of or feel self-conscious about.
So what really is cellulite and why do we have it? Let me break it down for you!
What is cellulite?
First and foremost, let’s set the record straight — cellulite is NOT fat.
We all need a certain amount of body fat to be healthy. Cellulite is simply when healthy fat cells push up through the fibres that connect the skin to the muscles. This causes some lumps and bumps on the skin.
What causes cellulite?
There are MANY causes including:
• Hormones: females are more likely to have cellulite than males. Oestrogen increases the number of fat cells (particularly in the legs, booty and abdomen). Prolactin increases water retention which can increase the appearance of cellulite.
• Loss of skin thickness: As we age, our skin gets thinner, and cellulite becomes more visible.
• Dietary and lifestyle factors: Smoking, excessive dietary fat and sugar consumption, and lack of physical activity are known aggravators of cellulite.
Will losing weight get rid of my cellulite?
You cannot completely eradicate cellulite. It will always be present, however, you can reduce its severity through dietary and lifestyle improvements.
A common misconception is that only those with a larger body size have cellulite — and that just isn’t true at all! ALL body shapes and sizes can have cellulite to some degree. Even at your most lean, you will still have cellulite.
So girls, do NOT chase an unrealistic goal of trying to completely get rid of it.
How can I reduce cellulite with nutrition?
Eating a balanced diet may improve the appearance of cellulite. You can do this by:
• Increasing protein consumption: protein contains an array of amino acids that can help to build collagen and elastin to help tighten and firm up the skin. Adding OxyWhey into your diet can be the perfect way to amp up your protein!
• Reducing saturated fat consumption: Excessive consumption of fried foods, pastries, cakes, or other high fat foods may contribute to more fat cell development and worsened cellulite.
• Increasing fruit & veggie consumption: Be sure to eat an array of colourful fruits and vegetables every day because they contain antioxidant vitamins that help protect the skin cells from damage and help firm the skin.
• Eating more omega-3s: Omega 3 fatty acids help improve skin appearance by enhancing skin structure. Good sources include oily fish, avocados, walnuts and chia seeds.
How can I reduce cellulite with exercise?
Research shows that exercise can help reduce the severity of cellulite by:
• Doing strength training — This will help increase muscle which will tighten and firm up the skin. Be sure to lift a weight heavy enough that is challenging but achievable for you to get maximum benefits!
• Adding in some cardio — getting your heart rate up, whether it's HIIT exercises, or even a long walk, can help promote fat loss and consequently reduce the severity of cellulite.
• Following a structured training program — Consistently is KEY! Follow a structured workout plan to help you build a healthy physique that is strong and sexy!
Whilst there are a lot of misconceptions out there, just remember, it is completely normal to have cellulite.
Good nutrition and physical activity can certainly help reduce cellulite, but you cannot completely get rid of it — and honestly, there’s no reason to want to! We ALL have cellulite, so you might as well own it!
LSF programs are designed to help you achieve your physique goals whilst empowering you to improve your mindset and confidence along the way.
Not an #LSFbabe yet? Experience what it's like to be part of our global girl gang and join us today!